The 5 Scariest Airport Runways
Most people are not really afraid of flying per se, but more terrified of the landings. This is a common fear among travelers and most are landing on well established runways. How would you feel if you had to endure a landing on one of the following runways? One thing is for sure, you definitely feel safer when landing in a chopper on one of those really cool helicopter tours.
5. The Princess Juliana International Airport, St. Maarten – Watch out for the sun-bathers!
Planes fly so low in Princess Juliana International Airport, St. Maarten, that you feel like you could almost touch them.
4. Gibraltar Airport, Gibraltar – Pilots have to be careful not to land in the water
The runway at Gibraltar Airport, Gibraltar might be long, but the pilot needs to have steady hands and good calculations to avoid touching down on the water first.
3. Barra Airport in Barra Scotland – At this airport, the runway is made of sand
The Barra Airport in Barra Scotland bypasses the tarmac all together and lands directly on the beach. These specially equipped planes schedule their landings around the ocean’s tide.
2. Madeira Airport in Funcha – One of the world’s shortest airport runways
The fear in the Madeira Airport in Funchal is stopping before running out of runway!
1. Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport in Saba – Watch out for the cliffs!
The Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport in Saba has rocky cliffs on 3/4 sides around the tarmac…. enough said.